Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Butterfly Dancer

Last month I was inspired by some Fantasy Film and Opals embossing enamel flower creations that I saw in one of my yahoo groups.Jane Stumpfell had used wire as her flower base.I had a wire material covered butterfly decoration so I used that to create a large sun catcher using Franklin Opals transfers in the wings and Fantasy Film behind it.Once again I used the iron to attach the Fantasy Film and Franklin Opals behind the Opals transfers.If I had layed down the Fantasy Film and applied more Opals using the heat gun the Opals Franklin Transfers would have re-melted and distorted. Below is what the butterfly started out like.


I then pulled all the material out and separated the two sets of wings so I had just the metal wing shapes.In each section I did Opals Franklin transfers of the cherub image.To do this you make toner based copies of the image on copy paper.Trim so slightly larger to the shape of the wing.Apply a generous coat of Versamark watermark clear ink to the top of the image.Place metal wing section over top.Melt Opals Franklin clear embossing enamels and pour it thru the wing shape over the image.Leave till set and cooled.Then take it to a sink partly filled with warm water.Gently rub away at the back of the image while immersed in the water.The paper backing will come off leaving the image in the Opals Franklin.You can see images of the process at my Webshots album .











After I had done each section I cut Fantasy Film to fit behind each area and layed it on Glad Bake on the ironing board.Set the iron to cotton,non steam and remove any water from iron.I then sprinkled on Opals Franklin clear(pic top left below)and folded more of the Glad Bake over the top and ironed it(pic 2nd right below).When cooled I peeled off the Glad Bake which gave me Fantasy Film encased in Opals Franklin in the shape of the wing(pic 3rd left).This was then put in place behind the Opals transfers on the wing(pic bottom right).






































Once more I folded the Glad Bake over the wing section and ironed it so the Fantasy Film and Opals part adhered to the Opals transfer part of the wing.When I had done all section I used a pair of scissors to trim close to the wire edge.In sections that were too thick for the Scissors I used a Clover quilt iron to melt off the excess.Once trimmed I applied a coat of Plaid royal coat Dimensional Magic in clear and sprinkled in some glitter.After that had set hard I rejoined the wings with wire and placed copper tape along all the edges.

























From my scraps of Opals paper I had a lovely piece of brown stained tissue and Vilene with strips of Fantasy Film and Opals Franklin ironed into it.This became my stamp surface.I stamped the belly dancer image from After Midnight art stamps on it using Neopaque white paint.I added a fabric ink stained flower at the top and Krafty Lady face mould plus I added some beading to the belly dancers clothes and used this as the body for my butterfly.At last my butterfly dancer was completed.








9 comments:

Barb said...

This Butterfly is just Glorious !!
Love all your work Annette:)

Bear said...

wowee Annette
your butterfly is so beautiful and thank you for explaining how to make her - one of these days I will try this technique out.
love n hugs bear xoxox

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Thanks Barb and Bear
I really loved making the dancer :o)
cheers
Annette

Dobell Family-Reaching Out said...

Now this is awesome and inspiring. Im absolutely enthralled by this technique ..your a clever girl smiles Michelle
I lived in Darwin for 8 months I use to work on prawn trawlers in the the gulf a few years back now. Its so different up there and everything seems so BIG..I got tropical ear and i will never forget that OUCH!

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Thanks Michelle..funny what you think up when in a tight spot.I'd rather iron craft products then clothes LOL.Well I love WA even though I only really got to see in and around Perth when I was there for the Artistic Journey art retreat in March.I have lived in Darwin since 1993 and love it though the build up can be very testing...hot and humid and 42degrees in my kitchen as I type

Diane said...

Your butterfly is just incredible. Your work is really beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing!

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Shucks Diane thanks for the lovely comments...I forget to load stuff here at times and then forget to tell people it is here but I promised myself I would try harder with it this year *grin* Annette

pizzle said...

Hi. I love the wings but what are franklin opals?

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Hi Pizzle.Opals are an ultra thick embossing enamel.If you look at the post and click on the highlighted area over "opals" and "Franklin Opals" it will take you to the makers page where you can read about them...they are so lovely to work with and I am forever finding new things to do with them.Cheers Annette

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...