Sunday, November 1, 2009

I've Got An Etch To Scratch

Okies...my canvas's ladies are still waiting for me to complete them but that darn etching stuff is like a disease...an etch eeeerrr itch that I just have to scratch and keep coming back too LOL.It's Jen's fault(and I love her for it LOL) and while I find my own way in etching I know all my work is greatly influenced by the classes I did with Jen Crossley,her Divine samples and the projects in Stephanie Lee's book (Semi Precious Salvage).
My two daughters snaffle anything I make in the form of a necklace and these were no exception even though they are just simple imperfect attempts.I had an etched house shape from a past project and decided to make three more the same size.I did a nickel/silver one(at left),a bronze one(middle) and a copper one(at right).I adored the look of time etched one best.They were all patina enhanced using Lime Sulphur liquid for plants...its not as smelly as Liver Of Sulphur.


I decided on nest themes for them all using wire to make the nests as per Stephanie Lee's book and Jen makes gorgeous wire nests on her blog site as well.Thicker wire gave better stronger looking nests but were harder to weave...pliers help to shape them too.There is a small dictionary word at the top that reads "fly on this copper one.

The copper wire nest on the brass one was a bit scrappy and the wire too thin I think.It has the dictionary word "chirp" on it.

I grabbed this one for myself LOL.I like the nest on this nickel/silver one
and I was getting the wrapping of the wire nests perfected by now.It has "sing" on it.

Melissa is a steam punk fan(remember her faux metal and part steam punk style mask she got me to make her in 45mins) and wanted watch bits in her nest...like a watch part collecting Bower bird LOL.I truly loved the end result and she adores it too.
Vintage supplies and trinkets are near on impossible for me to get up here in Humpty Doo(YES that is the name of my town) so I hope to buy some stuff when we go to Melbourne next year to the Creativesoul art retreat.I just know I like making things with metal and will keep practicing and hopefully get better at it too.It's cool to run into my girls in town with their Mum made necklaces on though :o).I'm thinking of making some etched metal ear-rings and bracelets to match the necklaces for Chrissy presents.
hugs
Annette In Oz

15 comments:

Margaret Weiss said...

Annette, I love your etching. They look great and I love how you have done nickel, bronze and copper... and the nests too look fantastic... well done. Etching is so much fun.
Margaret.

Esther said...

Annette, Annette, annette!! these are FANTASTICS!! the etching proces and the nests.; and the global result!! you drive me crazy!! i love all i see here.. well.. i stay here.. have you a chair for my poor legs??

Stacey said...

Those are beautiful! I love the heading for your post too- very creative! (You could write a how to book and that be the title.)

Narrative jewelry said...

Great job Annette, the effects are so lovely. My favorites are nickel/silver and bronze. What do you call "sulphur liquid for plants", is it something we can find in stores ? I'm very interesting in it.

xox

carole brungar said...

Annette, these are stunning! And they all look perfect to me! You need to open an etsy store, I would bet that you could sell these, no probs!!

Carole :)

Linda Jo said...

These are beautiful!

Jen Crossley said...

Your work is amazing Annette really stunning
Jen

Mari said...

These are stunning!
I really love the nests. They really add an extra special something. I'm sure your daughters are the envy of all they meet! :)

Sarah said...

These are absolutely fantastic!!! You just keep getting better and better!!!

Christina said...

These are truly gorgeous Annette!
I'm still in awe - not only of your creativity, but also your productivity!!

Debbi Baker said...

They all look wonderful Annette and what better compliment could you have than your girls wanting them!!

Tia said...

These are super fabulous!! I love the little addition of the dictionary words.

Linda M. Cain said...

These are absolutely fabulous! I love them all!!!!!!!

Linda Cain

Night Owl Designs said...

Annette! How cool are these pendants?! Love love love.

Carol said...

Wonderful, love all your etched creations!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...