Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Springy Thingy Steampunk Card Tutorial / Tipnique Tuesday


                         SPRINGY THINGY CARD TUTORIAL
It's time for me to share my weekly Tuesday tip or technique. This tutorial fell out of my tips/techniques book as I moved it last night and so got chosen for today's effort. It makes a card front that the receiver pulls open and the card opens out like a spring to see an inner 20cm square area. Images of a completed card using this technique are below these instructions. Practice this on some scrap paper first.

 MATERIALS
  • 20cm square piece of card stock or decorative paper of your choice. Pre colour the card if you wish. I'll use white card stock so you can clearly see what to do.
  • Pencil, rubber, ruler, craft knife, craft mat and bone scorer.
HOW TOO
1) On all sides measure and make a light pencil dot at the 5cm, 10cm and 15cm mark. On my sample I will use a black marker so you can see what I did easily.


2) From the 5cm mark at the left and right side measure and mark a dot at the 10cm mark


3) From the 10cm mark at the left and right side measure in and mark a dot in at the 5cm mark from each side


4) From the 15cm mark at the left and right side measure and mark a dot at the 10cm mark. These dots make a large diamond.


 5) Score between all these dots. In my image I have drawn dashes to show you were to score


 6) At the top 15cm mark score down to the right side of the diamond. At the 15cm mark at right edge, score across to the bottom of the diamond. At the 5cm mark on the bottom edge, score up to the left side of the diamond. Lastly at the 5cm mark at the left edge, score across to the top of the diamond. See dashed marks I have marked for you on my sample. All these score lines will be mountain folds. That is you bend the scored line back on itself to make a mountain.


7) At the 10cm mark on all sides score into the points on the diamond. See dashed areas on my sample. These scored lines and the scored lines for the diamond are all valley folds. That is you bend the scored line in on itself to make a little valley.


Here is my sample with all the scored lines bent to their respective mountain and valley folds.


8) Now all you do is gently fold the card in on itself. Start on one side and then work your way around. If you have all the scored correct lines and folds it sort of winds in like a spring. It should look like this at the front


and this at the back. Rub off all marked pencil dots.


After I made my sample above for you I painted the card stock with white gesso, sprayed it with various sprays. Stamped and added embellishments to turn it into a steam punk card. I then layered and stuck it to a base card. As mine is fairly embellished it doesn't fold completely flat.


This is m Springy Thingy Card open


Some close ups of the folded card part.








Hugs
Annette In Oz

15 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Love it, Annette great work! Shaz in Oz.x

Redanne said...

Great tutorial and wonderful end result!

Martha Murphy said...

Wonderful! I would love to get a card like this!

Lorriane 53 said...

Have just seen your springy thingy card on Pinterest live the design defo going to try this out xx

Unknown said...

That is awesome! I did it, nice clear instructions!!! Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great instructions - I made it and it looks fabulous. xx

Lindie Anderson said...

Hi Annette, would you mind telling me where I can get the embellishments from, absolutely beautiful work.

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Hi Lindie. Thanks hun. Most embellishments used are from Spotlight. There are also some from Tim Holtz range and the little propeller is from an on line search

Lindie Anderson said...

Thanks so much. Looking forward to your next creation.

EmmaT said...

Ive found this via pinterest, THANK YOU for such clear instructions & pictures for making this fab fold - it will be ideal for my brothers birthday. Your card is an amazing creation - love it. Emma

Unknown said...

Assalamu alaikum sir we need the paper

Unknown said...

Procurei um cartão para oferecer ás minhas alunas no final do ano.
Gostei do esquema , mas não sabia a dobragem , obrigado pela sua maravilhosa partilha.
Simplesmente maravilhoso :)

chaun said...

Just saw this on Pinterest. What a cool fun fold card! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thank you A in O. Your instructions are clear and easy to follow. I look forward to making something much better than the one I did whilst following them. Just a slight struggle to get it all to lie down at first, but then it just happened. Thank you for sharing with me!
Paddy in SA

MedhaOnline said...

This popped up on my Pinterest feed. I too have been making handmade cards for many years, but this one is outstanding. Can't wait to try it out. Thank you so much for your instructions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...